Did Heinlein write "Navy Hymn" verse?
Mike Van Pelt
2006-02-12 00:26:18 UTC
In one of Heinlein's novels, there's a new fourth verse
for the hymn "Eternal Father", often called "The Navy
Hymn:

Almighty ruler of the All
Whose power extends to great and small,
Who guides the stars with seadfast law,
Whose least creation fills with awe,
Oh grant thy mercy and thy grace
To those who venture into Space.

I've always assumed that Heinlein wrote this. Does
anyone know for sure if that's correct?
--
Tagon: "Where's your sense of adventure?" | Mike Van Pelt
Kevyn: "It died under mysterious circumstances. | mvp at calweb.com
My sense of self-preservation found the body, | KE6BVH
but assures me it has an airtight alibi." (schlockmercenary.com)
w***@yahoo.com
2006-02-12 00:44:33 UTC
Post by Mike Van Pelt
In one of Heinlein's novels, there's a new fourth verse
for the hymn "Eternal Father", often called "The Navy
Almighty ruler of the All
Whose power extends to great and small,
Who guides the stars with seadfast law,
Whose least creation fills with awe,
Oh grant thy mercy and thy grace
To those who venture into Space.
I've always assumed that Heinlein wrote this. Does
anyone know for sure if that's correct?
Not for sure, in the sense that I would stake my life on it, but I
think he wrote it and Wikpedia credits him with it.

Will in New Haven

--

Klingon programmer sayings: 5. "Debugging? Klingons do not debug. Our
software does not coddle the weak."
--
Tagon: "Where's your sense of adventure?" | Mike Van Pelt
Kevyn: "It died under mysterious circumstances. | mvp at calweb.com
Bill Patterson
2006-02-12 01:22:29 UTC
This question is covered in Jim Gifford's book in the entry for "Ordeal
in Space." The verse has been used in semi-official capacity but I
don't know that it's regarded as an official addition to the Hymn, the
way the air verse was added in 1937.
Vance P. Frickey
2006-04-21 05:10:19 UTC
Post by w***@yahoo.com
Post by Mike Van Pelt
In one of Heinlein's novels, there's a new fourth verse
for the hymn "Eternal Father", often called "The Navy
Almighty ruler of the All
Whose power extends to great and small,
Who guides the stars with seadfast law,
Whose least creation fills with awe,
Oh grant thy mercy and thy grace
To those who venture into Space.
I've always assumed that Heinlein wrote this. Does
anyone know for sure if that's correct?
Not for sure, in the sense that I would stake my life on
it, but I
think he wrote it and Wikpedia credits him with it.
Will in New Haven
Mr Sitaram Iyer, of the Wondering Minstrels of Rice
University, confirms that Heinlein is the author of the work
and dedicates his Web page dealing with the poem to the crew
of USS _Columbia_

I am in no doubt that Heinlein wrote the verse - but it
apparently only appears in his works of fiction, not in
either armed service hymnals or the Episcopal Hymnal (the
only church hymnal with which I can claim any acquaintance).

The 1974 edition of _Book of Worship for United States
Forces_, (ed. and published under supervision of The Armed
Forces Chaplains' Board) does not list the stanza of
"Eternal Father, Strong to Save" (p.192) referred to in the
Heinlein Society's Concordance as "Prayer for Travelers" in
any way - either in place of the actual fourth stanza (which
ends "O hear us when we lift our prayer for those in peril
in the air! and which is credited to Mary C.D. Hamilton) or
in the twelve alternative stanzas on the facing page.

- although "stanza 11" on that page (_Book of Worship_
p.193) is obviously there as a sop to astronauts:

"Eternal Father, King of Birth,
Who didst create the heaven and earth,
And bid the planets and the sun
Their own appointed orbits run:
O hear us when we ask your grace
for those who soar through outer space."

The _Book of Worship_ credits this stanza to J.E. Volonte,
1961.

I seem to remember a stanza, perhaps the fifth or sixth one
given for "Eternal Father, Strong to Save" in the Episcopal
Church's _1940 Hymnal_ (as revised sometime between 1940 and
the formal adoption of the _1982 Hymnal_), which is much
closer to Heinlein's work quoted above, or to the stanza of
"Landing Orbit" given in the short story "The Long Watch."

Unfortunately, the stanza in question disappeared from the
_1982 Hymnal_, giving us old codgers one more thing to gripe
about at General Conventions. :-)
--
Vance P. Frickey
remove "nospam" from listed Email address to send mail

"There is an uncomfortable similarity between Damocles, who
had everything but security, and the West today. The main
difference is that Damocles could see the sword that
threatened him and the thin thread that restrained it, while
today both sword and thread seem unreal to all too many."

Herman Kahn, _On Thermonuclear War_.
Mike Van Pelt
2006-04-21 07:16:41 UTC
Post by Vance P. Frickey
[Re: Heinlein's verse for "Eternal Father"]
Mr Sitaram Iyer, of the Wondering Minstrels of Rice
University, confirms that Heinlein is the author of the work
and dedicates his Web page dealing with the poem to the crew
of USS _Columbia_
I am in no doubt that Heinlein wrote the verse - but it
apparently only appears in his works of fiction, not in
either armed service hymnals or the Episcopal Hymnal (the
only church hymnal with which I can claim any acquaintance).
This needs to be remedied....

Sized for the usual size hymnal when printed 300dpi...

Tagon: "Where's your sense of adventure?" | Mike Van Pelt
Kevyn: "It died under mysterious circumstances. | mvp at calweb.com
Vance P. Frickey
2006-09-10 21:52:42 UTC
In article
Post by Vance P. Frickey
[Re: Heinlein's verse for "Eternal Father"]
Mr Sitaram Iyer, of the Wondering Minstrels of Rice
University, confirms that Heinlein is the author of the
work
and dedicates his Web page dealing with the poem to the
crew
of USS _Columbia_
I am in no doubt that Heinlein wrote the verse - but it
apparently only appears in his works of fiction, not in
either armed service hymnals or the Episcopal Hymnal (the
only church hymnal with which I can claim any
acquaintance).
This needs to be remedied....
Sized for the usual size hymnal when printed 300dpi...
http://home.earthlink.net/~mvanpelt/EternalFather.gif
Much-belated thanks, Mr. Van Pelt.
--
Vance P. Frickey
remove "safety" from listed Email address to send mail

War/.
Christopher X. Candreva
2006-09-21 23:53:53 UTC
Perhaps the time is right to see about making this verse official,
especially given the (relatively) recent revelations that the Apollo crews
wanted "The Green Hills of Earth" in the mission logs.

Before any more of them pass on.
Chris Candreva -- ***@westnet.com -- (914) 967-7816
http://www.westnet.com/
Vance P. Frickey
2006-04-21 05:37:10 UTC
Off thread, but I found it while researching my post:

Quoted from:
http://nielsenhayden.com/makinglight/archives/006924.html

"Michael Turyn ::: (view all by) ::: October 24, 2005, 01:58
PM:

"How about: (apologies, GKC)

'The men that built America
They have their graves at home:
And bees and birds, America's
About their markers roam.

Some, told, "Defend America,"
Followed a ragged cheer
To fall, far from America
And then returnèd here

And they that rule America,
In stately conclave met,
Alas, alas, America
They have no graves as yet.' "

Just once, I'd like to handcuff the House and Senate into
Bradleys and make THEM patrol Route Irish... just for a
couple of months, mind you... then see how many political
games the survivors feel like playing with the national
defense.

All except for Rep. Hobson, the guy from Ohio who is
holding up funding on nuclear bunker busters and facilities
to remanufacture plutonium pits. Him I want to strap on a
MOAB destined for one of the Iranian centrifuge bunkers -
give him a Stetson cowboy hat and show him the last fifteen
minutes of _Dr Strangelove_ so he can see how he is expected
to comport himself when the bomb bay doors open.